Sunday, March 20, 2022

"I AM AN INNOVATOR"

This is a continuation of my series of posts based on slogans found on Girl Scout cookies. Innovation is a subject near and dear to my heart since it can be roughly defined as the practical application of creative ideas. In my chosen profession as a research chemist, my colleagues and I were mainly concerned with the creative side of things while the chemical engineers concentrated more on innovations based on our creations. And for a while I was put in charge of improving creativity among the professional staff in our company. In that capacity, I attended several short courses in creativity and presented a series of talks on the subject not only within my company, but also once even to a local group of pastors.

I mention the above to point out that I have nothing whatsoever against the proliferation of creativity and innovation in any field of endeavor. However, my only caveat is when that creative energy is funneled into coming up with brand new ways of interpreting the Bible. On the one hand, I have been quite involved for years in applying the relatively new tool of utilizing biblical literary structures to further my understanding of the texts. But at the same time, I realize that I must constantly check the results of my findings against the clear teachings of Scripture to ensure that I am not being too “innovative” in my pronouncements and so-called discoveries.

And this basic thought is not new in itself; it is part and parcel of biblical teaching, especially reflected in the NT emphasis on holding on to the authentic tradition handed down and rejecting mere human traditions:

Matthew 15:3: “Why do you break the commandments of God for the sake of your tradition?”

Mark 7:9: “You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition.”

Acts 17:11: “These Jews were more receptive than those in Thessalonica, for they welcomed the message very eagerly and examined the scriptures every day to see whether these things were so.”

I Corinthians 11:2: “I commend you because you remembered me in everything and maintain the tradition just as I handed it on to you.”

I Corinthians 11:23: “”For I received from the Lord what I passed on to you...”

I Corinthians 13:3: “For I relayed to you firstly what I had in turn received...”

I Corinthians 15:1: “Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel that I proclaimed to you...in which you are also remaining.”

Galatians 1:6a: I am astonished that you are so quickly seserting the one who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel.”

Galatians 1:9b: “if anyone proclaims to you a gospel teaching other than what you have already received, let him be cursed.”

Galatians 1:12: “For I did not receive it [the gospel] or was taught it by any human source, but I received it by a revelation of Jesus Christ.”

Philippians 4:9: “Keep on doing what you have heard and received and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.”

Colossians 2:8: “See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition...and not in accordance to Christ.”

I Thessalonians 2:13: “...when you received the word of God that you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word but as what it really is, God's word...”

I Thessalonians 4:2: “For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus.”

II Thessalonians 2:15: “So then, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by our letter.”

II Thessalonians 3:6: “Now we command you, brothers,...to keep away from believers who are living in idleness and not according to the tradition that they received from us.”

Titus 1:9: “He [an elder] must have a firm grasp of the word that is trustworthy in according to the teaching, so that he may be able both to preach with sound doctrine and to refute anyone who contradicts it.”

II Peter 3:2: “You should remember the past words of the holy prophets as well as the commandments of the Lord spoken through the apostles.”

Finally, there is Peter's warning in II Peter 3:15-17 concerning those who twist Paul's inspired words and the injunction at the end of the Book of Revelation placing a curse on anyone who adds or subtracts from the prophecies in the book.

I like to quote the theologian Thomas Oden, who said that he wanted his gravestone to read: “ He made no new contribution to theology.” I have also heard it joked that there are two areas in which creativity is discouraged: accounting and theology. Innovation in theology is more commonly known under another name: heresy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments