Thursday, April 8, 2021

PRAYERS OF PAUL: PART 2

The next category of Paul's prayers includes those for unbelievers and those who minister to them. As in Part I, the tip-off word that precedes the reason for the prayer is given in all-caps.

    Ephesians 6:19: “[pray] also for me...to boldly proclaim the mystery of the gospel of which I am an ambassador in chains THAT I may declare it boldly as I should speak.”

    Romans 1:9-12: “For God is my witness...that I mention you always in my prayers without ceasing, asking that by God's will I may now at last come to you. For I am eager to see you IN ORDER THAT that I may give you some spiritual gift to strengthen you, that is, THAT we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith.”

    Romans 10:1-3: “Brothers and sisters, the desire of my heart and my prayer to God is that they [the Jews] may be saved...FOR being ignorant of the righteousness coming from God and trying to establish their own righteousness, they did not rely on God's righteousness instead.”

    Romans 15:30-32: “I appeal to you...to strive together with me in your prayers to God for me that I might be delivered from Judean unbelievers and that my service in Jerusalem may be acceptable for the there SO THAT by God's will I may visit you joyfully and be refreshed in your company.”

    II Thessalonians 3:1: “Finally, brothers and sisters, pray for us, THAT the word of the Lord may speed on and triumph.”

Paul also gives thanks in prayer for the believers:

    I Timothy 1:12-16: “I thank him who has given me strength for this ministry...because he judged me faithful and appointed me for serving him...I received mercy for this reason, THAT in me Jesus Christ might demonstrate his perfect patience as an example to those destined to believe in him for life eternal.”

    Philippians 1:3-6: “I joyfully thank my God always in every prayer of mine for you, and for your partnership in the work of the gospel from the first day until the present time. AND I am sure that he who began a good work in you will complete it as the day of Jesus Christ.

There are remarkably few petitionary prayers regarding physical ailments. That is probably in marked contrast to most of our own prayers. Remember that Paul himself prayed that a thorn in the flesh be removed, but got insights into the workings of God once he realized that it was not His will.

    II Corinthians 12:7-9 “And to keep me from being too puffed up by the many revelations God had given me, a messenger of Satan was allowed to harass me TO keep me from being too elated. Three times I besought the Lord about this and requested that it might leave me. But he said, 'My grace is enough for you FOR my power is perfected in weakness.'”

    II Corinthians 1:3-4 “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in the midst of our affliction SO THAT we can comfort others who are in affliction with the comfort we ourselves have been given by God.”


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments