Sunday, May 23, 2021

CHRISTOLOGY: INTRODUCTORY STUDY GUIDE

In the Sunday school class I led for years, we had the practice of alternating our semester's subjects between OT books, NT books, and topical studies. Also, before the end of each semester, I presented to the class a number of potential subject to study next and allowed them to cast their ballots for their favorite. The title subject above was one that I dearly loved to tackle, but each time I proposed it along with alternative studies it always got the lowest ratings. After a few years, it got to be a sort of joke in our class. Eventually, after tweaking my title and approach several times, the class took pity on me and chose it for the following semester. I hope that you won't be as equally turned off by the subject since I think it serves as a relatively painless way to introduce the subject of Christology.

Basically, each lesson below covers one or more titles given to Christ in the Bible and couples it with one or more appropriate hymns to Christ found in the NT.

Titles for Jesus                                             Hymns

1. Introduction to Christology                     Mark 8, etc.

2. The Word/Angel of God                          John 1

3. God (Incarnate)                                       I Timothy 3:16; Philippians 2:5-11

4. Son of God/                                             Luke 1:32-35; Colossians 1:15-20

Firstborn of Creation

5. Son of Man                                             Hebrews 2:6-8

6. Son of Mary                                            Luke 1:47-55

7. Light of the World/                                 Ephesians 5:14

Light to the Gentiles

8. Cornerstone or Stumbling Block            Romans 9:33; I Peter 2:6-9; Luke 2:34-35

9. The Suffering Servant                            I Peter 2:21-24; Isaiah's Suffering Servant Songs

10. Lamb of God/                                       Titus 2:11-14; 3:4-7; Revelation 5:9-10

Savior

11. First Born of the Dead/                          Romans 8:31-39; I Cor. 15:34-36; I Peter 3:18-22

Interceder

12. Husband of the Church/ Revelation      7:15-17; 19:6-8

Good Shepherd

13. Christ/                                                    Luke 1:32-35; 68-79; Romans 15:9-12

Messiah/

Son of David/

Root of Jesse

14. King of Kings/                                       Revelation 19:12-16

Lord of Lords/

Judge

Some posts on this blog that may be of help are included below with the appropriate lesson number:

3. Philippians 2:5-6; Philippians 2:10; Philippians 2

8. I Peter 2

9. The Suffering Servant Songs

10. Revelation 5

11. I Peter 3:18-20

12. Revelation 6-7; Ephesians 5:21-33

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments