Friday, May 5, 2023

REPETITION IN JOHN 16

I have already shown an example of the constant repetition of words found in some of Paul's writings (see “Repetition in Philippians 1 and 3”). Another place to locate such “exalted prose” is in the teachings of Jesus to his apostles found in John's Gospel. Below Chapter 16 is diagrammed so that you can visually see how Jesus presents his ideas and reinforces them by repetition.

Verse

1         I have said these things to you

2                 an hour is coming

4         I have said these things to you

4                  when their hour comes

4         I told you about them

5                          I am going to him who sent me

5                          where are you going

6         I have said these things to you

7                          if I do not go away

7                         if I go

10                       I am going to the Father

10                                  you will see me no longer

12         I still have things to say to you

15         I said

16                                  a little while you will no longer see me

16                                  a little while and you will see me

17                                  a little while you will no longer see me

17                                 a little while you will see me

17                         I am going to the Father

19                                  a little while you will no longer see me

19                                  a little while you will see me

20                                          joy

21                 her hour has come

22                                 I will see you again

22                                         rejoice, joy

23                                                 you will ask nothing

23                                                 if you ask

24                                                 you have not asked

24                                                 ask

24                                         joy

25         I have said these things to you

25                  the hour is coming

26                                                 you will ask

26                                                 I will ask

28                           I am going to the Father

32                  the hour is coming and now is

33         I have said this to you

Notice that in this case, the repetitions do not continue to progress forward in ideas until the end of the passage, as in Paul's writings in Philippians. Instead they circle back to the first statements to bring the speech to the point where it started. And the key phrases in verses 1-10 are repeated in reverse order in 28-33.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments