Friday, January 8, 2021

CURRENT EVENTS

As I write this, the U.S. Capitol has been stormed by a group of Trump supporters and most of us are riveted to the news to see what happens next. I am afraid that I am one of those people who have never taken politics that seriously. I tend to agree with C. S. Lewis when he commented to a question as to why he didn't read the daily newspapers: "All that is not eternal is doomed to be eternally out of date."  Therefore I will continue posting articles concerning biblical passages and refrain from turning to political opinions instead.

NEVERTHELESS, I feel compelled to make one comment. Polls following the 2014 election showed that white evangelicals voted overwhelmingly for Donald Trump. I had assumed that the major reason (besides a hatred of his opponent) was due to the issue of abortion. And I can well sympathize with that motive.

However, an exit poll conducted by a very responsible organization and published in Christianity Today magazine showed an entirely different reality. Abortion was on the list of reasons given by white evangelicals, but it was way down in priority, about tenth in importance following other issues that can be summarized in two words: greed and fear. 

If someone can point to biblical passages indicating that these should be prime motivating factors for Christians, maybe I can better understand my fellow believers' actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments