Friday, November 13, 2020

THE INTERMEDIATE STATE OF THE DEAD

This is a subject on which the Bible offers no clear-cut teachings so we must often read between the lines. Some would argue that the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus provides the clearest information on this subject, but remember that it is a parable, not a historical narrative or theological treatise. Therefore, it may reflect popular beliefs at the time of Jesus regarding the afterlife, but should not be taken as Jesus' definitive word on the subject. Otherwise we would have to believe that, for example, those with “Abraham” immediately after death will be able to converse freely with those on the other side.

The passages below may be used as a springboard for further discussions on this subject, but those with differing opinions should keep in mind that this is a tertiary issue at best and should not be used as any test of fellowship.

Psalm 16:9-11: Thou dost not give me up to Sheol or let me see the Pit.

Psalm 17:15: behold thy face when I awake

Luke 16:19-31 Abraham's bosom.

Luke 23:43 This day you will be with me in Paradise.

John 5:28-29: thou will come when the dead hear his voice and become resurrected

John 17:24 I desire that they might be where I am to behold my glory.

Acts 7:59-60: Stephen – Lord Jesus receive my spirit.

Romans 8:38-39: death will not separate us from the love of God

I Corinthians 15:17-23: made alive – at his coming those who belong to Christ

I Corinthians 15:51-52: at the trumpet, the dead will be raised imperishable

II Corinthians 5:1-8: we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

Philippians 1:23: my desire is to depart and be with Christ

I Thessalonians 5:9-10: destiny – whether we wake or sleep we might live with him.

Revelation 6:9-11: souls slain are under the altar – rest a little longer.

Revelation 20:4-5: souls beheaded come to life and reign 1,000 years. The rest of the dead after 1,000 years.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments